• +1 507 382 1167
  • tobias@mankatoguns.com

How to get a Permit

How to get a Permit

Applicant requirements:

  • Must be at least 21 years of age.
  • Must complete an application form.
  • Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm.
  • Must not be listed in the criminal gang investigation system.
  • Must be a resident of the county from which you are requesting a permit if you reside in Minnesota.
  • Must provide certificate of completed authorized firearms training.
  • Training by a certified instructor and completed within one year prior to applying for a permit to carry.
  • Steps to get a permit to Carry:
    • Take a class
    • Take your certificate from the class to your sheriff and apply
    • Wait 1-4 weeks to receive your permit

1-Take a class

  • This step is the most fun part of the whole process, come take a 5 hour class with us at Mankato Guns. This class will cover how to be safe, introduction to pistols, how to use a pistol, how to choose a pistol, legal aspects, Minnesota laws, reciprocity with other states, and a fun time at the range shooting pistols.

2-Take your certificate from the class to your sheriff and apply.

  • You must bring the following when applying for a permit:
    A complete application
    The original Certificate of Training and a copy of it
    Your Driver’s License and a copy of your Driver’s License
    Application Fee (Usually around $100)

3-Wait 1-4 weeks to receive your permit

  • The Sheriff will conduct a background check using the Minnesota Crime Information System and the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to determine if you are eligible to own a firearm.
    The sheriff may check other sources they deem appropriate, such as calling other departments from areas you may have lived in the past. If approved the Sheriff will rerun his background yearly to ensure continued eligibility.
    The sheriff can take up to 30 Days to approve or deny your application. If denied you may go through an appeal process. If a denial should happen contact a lawyer for more help.